The first iPhone was released on June 29, 2007. It took less than nine years for smartphones to change from a novelty to a necessity for millions of people. Smartphones are used for everything now -- from commuting to working out, even dating. In fact, you’re probably reading this on a smartphone right now.
Your members are using their smartphones too--at the drinking fountain, in between sets and sometimes even while they’re exercising. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. After reading these statistics, you’ll understand how important getting your message onto their smartphone screen is.
1. The average person checks their phone 110 times per day. That’s almost 7 times per hour.
3. Are you a toilet tweeter? If so, you aren’t alone. 40% of Americans check their phones while using the toilet.
4. Count 10 adults at your club. The odds say that at least 1 of them was browsing the web in the shower this morning. Thanks to the rise of waterproof cases, 12% of adults use their smartphones in the shower.
5. Smartphones are likely the dominant source of entertainment for many of your members. 36% of smartphone owners reported that they would choose their cell phone over even a TV.
6. Your members are checking their phones a lot, but they are using them for longer periods of time as well. 78% of millennials use their smartphones for more than two hours cumulatively every day.
7. Most smartphone owners can't escape, even in their sleep. 75% of 25-29 year olds sleep with their phones.
8. It should be no surprise that reaching for their smartphone is the first thing 80% of millennials do when they wake up.
9. However, it’s not just millennials that have been struck by smartphone fever - 51% of cell phone owners 55 and older own smartphones.
10. In fact, almost ⅔ of all Americans own smartphones. It’s likely that a majority of your members own smartphones as well, regardless of their age or socioeconomic status.
11. While Apple is an American company, the smartphone revolution isn't an American-only trend. There are now more mobile devices than people on Earth, according to the UN
12. People rely on their cellphones so much, that it’s become a medical issue. Nomophobia is now officially the fear of being without your smartphone. The anxiety is on the same scale as “wedding-day jitters” or “going to the dentist.”
Fitness App Stats
13. People love health and fitness apps. Smartphone users are 2.5 times more positive when rating health and fitness apps than any other category on the market.
14. Fitness, exercise, pedometers, or heart rate monitoring apps are the most commonly downloaded health apps. Those apps made up 38% of all health app downloads.
15. Diet, food, or calorie counting apps come in second place, making up 31% of health app downloads.
How This Impacts Your Club
While it’s fun to know how many of your members sleep with their smartphones, these statistics can actually have a profound impact on your club. The usage and ownership stats illustrate the fact that every day, more of your members are looking at their smartphones more frequently. Efficiently getting your message on your members’ smartphones should be a high priority for your club. The fitness app stats show that club members are excited about mobile fitness content and are eager for more. With the right mobile marketing strategy, your members won’t think your app or mobile content is spam; instead, your club could be the subject of their next tweet from the shower.
Learn more about mobile marketing strategies for your club, and check out our Mobile Marketing Manifesto: